Sunday, June 28, 2015

Skin Care Tips and Habits That Make Me Feel Good

We all have different (healthy) outlets to make us feel better about ourselves. Some like to indulge on shoes, take trips and buy clothes. And people like us, well, we obviously love makeup. You wouldn't be here right now if you weren't or maybe you're one of my closest friends reading about this right now. 





Makeup is more than just lending our faces with a wash of color or transforming our features. We love adorning our faces with the latest cosmetic brands that we forget to take care of our skin and forgo sanitary habits! Skin care isn't limited to facial creams and toners, but small habits we should apply and ditch on a regular basis. These tips are based on what has worked for me and these have proven to effectively make me feel better about myself in general. :)




1. Know the right skin care products that work for you. Basically, your skin care routine will affect every product that touches your face. What if you have an oily skin type and use products for dryer skin, your personal needs wouldn't be met. I realized that having a skin care routine that you and your skin likes is crucial to make makeup products work even better for yourself. Its a universal rule for skin care and cosmetics in general- what may work on your best girl friend may not work for yourself. Start with budget-friendly options at Watson's and grocery stores and if your budget permits, try higher end brands. Reading blogs before you make a purchase helps in saving money, too!


2. Wear sunscreen. I learned this the hard way. We were on a trip last April  and I was confident enough to forgo sunscreen and lotion with SPF. We were at the back of the pick-up as we rode for 5 hours on the road. It's hot enough right now when you're indoors, and going about without sunscreen is just plain nuts. I had to apply ointment and take painkillers because I suffered first-degree burns on my face, arms and back. Now I make the habit of slathering my face and body with products that contain SPF before I head out the door. I use The Face Shop Natural Sun Eco Super Perfect Sun Cream in SPF/FPS SA+++ 50 and Nivea Body's Intensive Moisture Serum in SPF 25 PA++. You can also read more about my current skin care routine here.


3. Wash your brushes regularly and dispose your sponges once they've worn out (that is if you're the only one using your sponges). This is an extended step for your skin care routine. Washing your face then sweeping dirty brushes against your face defeats the purpose of getting rid of unwanted bacteria from your skin. 


4. Regularly wipe your cellphone with tissue or cotton dampened with alcohol. Phones are as dirty as door knobs.  Every Time you answer your phone you're subjecting your face to millions of bacteria and may result to more acne! Ew.


5. Wash your hands after you commute. This is an extension of tip #4. Passing another passengers fare, touching other people's hands, holding onto the railings of the jeepney, holding a cab's door- again, homes to millions of bacteria. And if you're time type to touch your face , better get rid of that habit too. Which leads me to the next tip,


6. Keep rubbing alcohol in your purse. There are tons of travel-sized options from your favorite brands and if you want to save, purchase a small atomizer and and huge bottle of alcohol and refill every time you run out. :)


7. Slather your lips with lip balm or lip butter before going to bed. If you're the type who likes to experiment with different kinds of lipsticks and different kinds of formulations, this is a good way to take care of your lips. My best picks are Nivea lip butters and the Lizard Lips organic lip balm with SPF 22 from Healthy Options.


8. If you wear makeup on a regular basis, give your skin a day off at least once a week. Just let your skin breathe :)


9. Be light-handed when applying facial toner and other skin care products. Think of your skin as a piece of fruit. If you press hard, the area you've applied pressure on will become dark. This holds true when it comes to your skin! So better pat your face gently the next time you apply creams and lend a feather-like touch when you use cotton pads on your face if you want to lessen your risk of dark spots.


10. Have some alone time in front of the mirror naked. I don't think I really shared this with anyone up until this point but there are few occasions when I Would just look at myself at the mirror and point out the good qualities of my body and try to convince myself to exercise so that I can improve the appearance of my tummy and arms. If you learn to appreciate yourself more, your mindset will reflect on the outside and everyone else will notice it too. There are days when we feel insecure and remember- that's totally normal. 



What are your other habits that every girl should adopt? I'd like to hear from you! Be sure to leave this post some comments. 
'Till next time!
Jessy :*

No comments:

Post a Comment