Sunday, December 13, 2015

Mary Kay Face Makeup Review and How-to



Recently I was given the chance to review products from Mary Kay. I've always been curious about the brand but when it comes to purchasing makeup, I'd prefer to use a tester first or read product reviews before I buy. To be honest, I'd prefer to read up on reviews made by local bloggers since international brands tend to reformulate products (although not every product in a certain line) according to a region's current trend and climate. That is why if you notice, for example, a Maybelline mascara or foundation sold locally has a different packaging compared to its American counterpart. This is how I understand the idea behind this and note that I'm not very articulate with the process. You can read more about it here.


Be warned before I proceed though, this post will be quite lengthy and picture-heavy. But of course, I'm here to give you a review in case you'd like to know more about some of the brand's products before you try them out for yourselves. Also note that I took the face application photos separate with product photos, so I do apologize for the inconsistent lighting. 




So going back, my good friend from college Kuai from Mary Kay Cebu was kind enough to let me choose which items I'd like to try and in turn I offered to give a review on these products. Mary Kay over the years has been known as a skin care brand and promises to deliver makeup products that are safe and gentle for all skin types. After testing these products for almost a month, I'd like to lend you guys some thoughts on what I think as well as some tips on how to use them well. Before reading on, note that I have oily skin and work inside an office on most days. So let's start!

General thoughts on Mary Kay
Favorite: 
The Concealer! Have been using this everyday ever since I received this. 

Least Favorite:

The CC Cream tends to make me oily if I don't set it with powder.
 
Pros:
Generally, these products are very gentle and definitely suitable for sensitive skin. Since Mary Kay is a known skincare brand, these products feel less than actual makeup products since these feel lightweight on the skin. They also lend a natural skin-like finish. Also, I like the fact that these products are yellow-based so they are suitable for warmer skin tones.
 
Cons/Things to improve on:  
Limited shade selection! Ladies with deeper skin tones might not find their match from the colors available. 
 
Oil Mattifier




Price:
P 615

Size:
.6 FL. OZ./ 17mL

Product base:
Water-based.

Claims:
Suitable for sensitive skin. Fragrance-free and non-comedogenic. Product dries into a natural, matte finish instantly absorbing oil and controlling shine for at least 8 hours. Avoid direct contact with eyes.

Best for: 
Those that have oily skin and want to mattify their complexion.

How to use: 
Apply sparingly on shine-prone areas after your moisturizer and allow to dry. A pea-sized amount is enough to cover your whole face. Use your fingers.You may reapply as needed.

What I think/Pros: 
This product does not claim to be a primer at all but can be used for that purpose. Usually mattifying primers and creams tend to make your face feel tight and dry after application. This one however lends a smooth application and is light enough to use after your favorite moisturizer. You can wear this alone over your moisturizer on days when you don't want to wear makeup and  would still like to look fresh. This has no scent and is gentle on the skin.

Longevity on my skin:
6-8 hours

Cons:
Product amount may be a problem for some. Generally the standard product amount sold for all-over liquid face products is 30ml and some people (like myself) base the price on how much product I'm getting.


CC Cream


Price:
P 825

Shade I Got: 

Medium *Swatches at the end of post

Size:
1 FL. OZ./29mL

Product base:

Water-based.

Claims:

Suitable for sensitive and acne-prone skin. Oil and fragrance-free. Shown to hydrate f0r 10 hours.

Best for:

Suitable for those with combination to dry skin and those who would like to even-out their complexion. I've also used this on an older friend and she looked luminous since CC creams are generally known for their hydrating properties aside color correction.


How to use:
Personally, this blends well if you use your fingers.




What I think/Pros:
Among the products I received, this one is a favorite in terms of packaging. This has no scent and is gentle as well. Although CC creams don't lend coverage, this one has a very light coverage and evens out your skin tone. Usually I conceal the sides of my nose because I have redness on those areas (like the most of us) so I can already skip that step in my routine. A plus point is that it has a yellow undertone so this is especially formulated for Pinays. This is transfer-proof as well. If you want to have more coverage, you can mix a tiny amount of the Mary Kay concealer in or your favorite heavy coverage concealer with a pump or two with this CC cream. Just make sure that your concealer is water-based as well. And oh yes, the pump is definitely a pro for me! It controls how much product you'd like to use.






























Longevity on my skin:
4-6 hours

Cons:
If you're oily and expect a mattifying CC cream, this might leave you disappointed. However, CC creams are generally very hydrating so setting this with powder can remedy the dewy effect the product lends. Just pair this with the Oil Mattifier underneath or your favorite mattifying primer and set it with powder. My favorite setting powder by the way is from 3w Clinic. When I blotted my skin after I got oily I noticed that it didn't transfer on my tissue/oil blotting sheet.



Time-Wise Matte Foundation




Price: 
P 785

Shade I Got:

Beige 2 *Swatches at the end of post

Size:
29mL 

Product base:
Water and silicone-based.
 
Claims:
Recommended for combination to oily skin. Has buildable coverage, suitable for sensitive skin, oil-free and non-comedogenic. Formulated to fight the signs of aging with a patented blend of collagen-building peptides and Vitamin E.

Best for:

Pretty self-explanatory! Someone who wants a matte foundation but still wants a skin-like finish. This is also recommended for those that are conscious with their skin care regimen. Drier and older skin types might not like this because it has a tendency to cling on certain areas despite the anti-aging properties infused with the formula.

How to use:
This product is so blendable that I even use my fingers with this! I use a damp sponge to even everything out after application. This product has a tendency to settle on dry skin and patches so just make sure to moisturize prior to application if you have a combination skin type.




What I think/Pros:

I like that this blends easily and although it lends a buildable medium to heavy coverage, this does not feel like a heavy-duty foundation on my skin. That's what I'm loving about Mary Kay in general, face makeup makes my skin breathe. Even though it's mattifying it still makes my skin look and feel like skin. I also mix this with a pump of the CC Cream sometimes if I want a light coverage. 































Longevity on my skin:

7 to 9 hours.

Cons:

Limited shade selection and not suitable for older or dry skin types.  Also note that since the foundation has a runny texture it may instantly squeeze out some product when you open the cap. Make sure to position the tube upwards in order to avoid this. 


Concealer





Price: 
P 415 

Shade I Got:

Ivory 1 *Swatches at the end of post

Size:
.3 OZ/ 8.5 g

Product base:

Water-based.

Claims:

Suitable for all skin types, dermatologist-tested, waterproof, non-comedogenic and fragrance-free. Suitable for sensitive skin including the delicate eye area. Long-lasting, lightweight, creamy formula. 

Best for:

Those that want a heavy coverage concealer that lasts all day.
 
How to use:
I usually apply on the eye area and some blemishes with my fingers and even it out using a sponge.
 



What I think/Pros:

Ever since I got my hands on this, this hasn't left my everyday makeup kit. I like the fact that although it lends a heavy and buildable coverage, this does not cake and crease especially on my under eye area. This could also be thanks to "baking" my under eye concealer. Even so, there are days when I'm too lazy to bake my concealer and I can see that this settles into my skin pretty well. This is also a good highlighter as well when I want to finish my brow routine. Product claims and reviews are not lying, and this lasts after a long day...and night. I'd definitely buy this this once I run out. 

















Longevity on my skin:

8-10 hours.


Cons: 
Although shade selection is a con, performance wise- none! I ain't kissing ass here- I highly recommend this!


Mineral Powder Foundation




Price: 
P850 

Shade I Got:

Ivory 2 *Swatches at the end of post

Size:
.28 OZ./8g

Product base:
Talc and dimethicone (silicon). May contain titanium dioxide.



 
Claims:
None. However, it is recommended to allow your moisturizer and any other face products to settle on your skin and be dry to the touch.


Best for:
Those that want a quick full-face application and for those that have no blemishes and want a lightweight product for everyday wear. 

How to use:
Although there was a foundation brush sold by Mary Kay to be used together with this, I would not recommend the brush at all since its too stiff and has the tendency to feel rough on your face. You may use any synthetic foundation brush as you please as long as it is dense to pick up and blend the product onto your skin. I also sometimes dampen a sponge and press it onto my face after applying the product so that it will set nicely.




What I think/Pros:
My first encounter with this product was when my girlfriend's mom wanted me to do her makeup. She had the matte foundation and this powder for me to use on her skin. The matte foundation was too light on her and did not blend well because of her dry skin. However, when I applied the powder onto her skin I really liked the brightening and hydrating effect. So when I was offered to try Mary Kay products this was the first thing on my list. I like that it doesn't make my skin dry- it adds a glowy and luminous effect. This is also for my lazy mornings and good-skin days. This lends a light to medium coverage and can be used on light to medium skin tones so the shade selection is quite forgiving. Another thing worth mentioning is the fact that the packaging's sifter can be sealed open and shut. This helps you control how much product you'd like to use and makes this travel-friendly since this takes away the risk of getting the product all over your makeup bag.  If you have any blemishes I suggest spot-concealing those areas first before applying this product.








Longevity on my skin:

6-8 hours.

Cons:
The fact that this mineral product contains talc may be a problem for some. It's a matter of personal preference.


Final Thoughts and Points to Consider




Now, do note that the reason for these products working well together is because of them having the same ingredient base. Although its not a total necessity to purchase every product from a certain makeup line, marketers direct consumers to buy these products together for a reason. Personally, you can choose to build your makeup kit with assorted brands but be wary of a face-product's ingredient base. When purchasing face makeup, be sure that these have the same base ingredients with your moisturizer or primer. Remember-oil and water don't mix and this golden rule very well applies in makeup application. An oil-based foundation would look uneven and blotchy against skin that has been moisturized with a water-based moisturizer or primer and vice-versa.This is one factor why some women would toss out their foundation right away because they don't take a good look at the ingredient list of the products first. So when purchasing a new foundation or concealer, make sure that the base ingredients are the same as your favorite moisturizer and primer.




I do hope that this post has been informative on some of the products by Mary Kay and how to use and match your base products well. If you're from Cebu and would like to purchase any of the products mentioned, you may contact Kuai at 0977 621 3509 or follow the Mary Kay Cebu Facebook page for more information.

No comments:

Post a Comment